By Eric Frisch, 10x Management Content Manager
“Have you heard the new Bon Iver?” In 2008, that was a question that a lot of indie music fans were asking. We all know there’s a great indie music scene out there with artists – who usually haven’t signed to a major label – putting out music. People get a certain thrill out of discovering acts before they go mainstream. I’m a big indie music fan myself. But what about the technology scene? Is there such a thing as an indie tech scene?
There are a myriad of great places to get tech news on the web. Sites like TechCrunch, The Verge, MIT Technology Review, Fast Company, and Wired are a regular part of our online tech routine here at 10x.
But are there sites that provide a cool, under-the-radar perspective on the technology world? Where are the speakeasies of the online tech world? The charming mom-and-pop sites or the hole-in-the-wall establishments for all the latest? For those that want a change of pace from the gentrified online tech world where we get a lot of the same news recycled in different formats, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best places to get down-low, great, and different news about the tech world. Check out our list below!
- https://www.thissmarthouse.net/ – From tales about burning down your house with a 3D printer to reprogramming a $30 w-fi switch, this is a blog run by an independent technologist that 10x Management is proud to represent. In This Smart House, John Coggeshall muses on various devices you can build/improve/install to make your life a little more tech-savvy.
- https://heresthethingblog.com/ – for practical tips and useful tricks for devices we use every day, this is a great place to learn quirky and interesting news about technology.
- https://typicalprogrammer.com/ – Cool site from an independent programmer represented by 10x, Greg Jorgensen’s blog Typical Programmer provides an informed perspective from someone with a lot of experience in technology. He writes with a personal touch and I love reading his thoughts on life as a programmer.
- https://www.web-strategist.com/blog/ – great site to learn about how technology will impact future of business from a customer experience perspective.
- https://www.thebalance.com/ – Not exactly tech, but a great site to get news about investing and other financial tips with a very personal touch.
- https://www.cringely.com/ – Cringely is a very cool site to get informed opinions about what’s new in technology, as written by the blog’s founder, Bob Cringely. He knows what’s going on in Silicon Valley and offers a fresh perspective on it.
- https://bitcoincore.org/en/blog/ – For those interested in cryptocurrency, here’s a great place to stay up-to-date on all things happening with bitcoin.
- https://scripting.com/ – This is a great site updated every day with interesting opinions and essentially a running dialogue about technology as told by the blog’s founder, Dave Winer. From Google to AWS to cryptocurrency, we’re never quite sure what he’ll talk about next, but we can’t wait to read it. Keep at it Dave!
- https://stratechery.com/ – Stratechery is another cool site that’s updated daily, and you can also subscribe to receive news about the tech world. It’s focused on the business side of technology and media, and how technology impacts society.
- https://andrewchen.co/ – Not exactly a site, but Andrew Chen writes a weekly newsletter covering all the best from the world of tech.
Some other cool under-the-radar sites for those interested:
If you like this article, you might enjoy reading AI Expert Reveals How Top AI Engineers Are Changing the Way We Do Business